• Frequently Asked Questions

    • Who should I talk to about my case?
      Only speak with your attorney about your case. The more people that you speak with, the more you complicate your situation. Write down in detail what you remember surrounding the events of what happened. Share this information with your attorney. Do not share this information with anyone else.
    • When should I hire an attorney?
      Now! The sooner you hire an attorney is always better. The State always has a leg up on collecting evidence. Often times the evidence that you want to make sure is preserved to prove that you are innocent, to argue your case, or to exonerate you, is not preserved. By hiring defense counsel as soon as possible this evidence can be requested and preserved. A defense attorney will walk you through the case from Day 1, taking the burden and stress off of your shoulders. From knowing when to be at court, to negotiating plea deals, to preparing for trial, leave it to your defense counsel to know your rights and force the State of Texas to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
    • Can I get my case expunged?
      It depends. Certain cases can be expunged or non-disclosed in the State of Texas. Contact my firm for more information.
    • What happens if my boyfriend or girlfriend wants to drop charges?
      Once the State of Texas gets involved in your private matter ‘dropping charges’ is no longer your family member’s decision. Now the district attorney’s office as well as the responding police department are involved in the case. There may also be an emergency protective order that prevents you and your loved one from communicating with one another for sixty to ninety days. Read the paperwork that you receive following your arrest carefully. Just because your boyfriend or girlfriend or loved one forgives you and wants you back in their lives does not mean that new charges cannot be filed if an emergency protective order (EPO) is still in effect and you violate that order. PROCEED WITH CAUTION and CALL AN ATTORNEY!
    • Does your firm accept payment plans?
      Yes. With a down payment and a set monthly payment schedule.
    • What is the difference between deferred adjudication probation and straight probation?
      Deferred adjudication probation is a form of probation in which the defendant pleads guilty but the judge defers the finding of guilt for the probationary period. If the defendant is successful on probation, the probation is discharged and there is no final conviction of the defendant’s record. A non disclosure is often an option following the probation discharge to remove both the arrest and the probation discharge from the defendant’s record after a time specified in the Texas Government Code. Straight probation is a form of probation where the defendant pleads guilty and is found guilty by the judge but the judge suspends any jail or prison time while the defendant is sentenced to probation. If the defendant is successful on probation, the probation is discharged however the final conviction will remain permanently on the defendant’s record. In either deferred adjudication probation or straight probation, the defendant must waive his or her right to a jury trial and right to an appeal and will only have a right to a hearing before the trial court judge if he or she violates probation conditions. If the judge determines that the probation conditions were violated, incarceration is possible.
    • What is the best way to contact Ms. López?

      Because of her busy schedule, a contact form is usually the fastest way to reach Ms. López. Please fill out a form with:

      1. the name of the defendant
      2. the cause number of the case (if known)
      3. the county that it is in
      4. the offense charged
      5. any specific questions that you may have

      She will return a message as soon as she possibly can.